If you’ve ever experienced a decayed or infected tooth, you may have had root canal treatment. It’s a very common procedure which can repair or save teeth that have become badly damaged or infected by issues stemming from a tooth’s nerve tissue or pulp.
Root Canal Treatment
Root Canal Treatment for Adelaide Residents
What is a root canal?
The root canal is the natural cavity that is located in the centre of a tooth. The tooth’s nerve is within the root canal. Although it is useful in providing the sensation of hot or cold, the nerve of a tooth does not affect the functioning of the tooth in day to day life.
Why do you need root canal treatment?
There are a variety of reasons that you may need root canal treatment however it is usually carried out when the tooth’s nerve and pulp are irritated or inflamed. It is very common for these to be infected due to decay over time, repetition of dental procedures or fillings on a tooth, trauma to the face or a crack in the tooth.
What is root canal treatment?
During root canal treatment, your dentist will treat the dental pulp contained within the tooth – this includes the tissue, the nerves and the blood vessels in the tooth. There are a number of stages in root canal treatment including;
- Diseased pulp tissue must be removed and the tooth is thoroughly cleaned to eliminate bacteria
- The canal is filled and sealed once it is free from bacteria
How long does root canal treatment take?
Root canal treatment does require multiple appointments, several of which may be over an hour in duration. Usually, treatment is completed within 3-4 appointments.
What are the benefits of root canal treatment?
- Usually, root canal treatment is less expensive than replacing the damaged tooth with an artificial version.
- The patient gets to keep their own tooth rather than having an implant fitted
- Root canal treatment generally relieves the pain associated with damaged or infected pulp with immediate effect
- The tooth is normally fully functional for years or even decades after root canal treatment is carried out.